Becoming a parent really does turn your world a little upside down – at least for the first few months anyway. My definition of a simple thing hasn’t changed since becoming a parent, but the things that make me happy, most certainly have.
Lighthouse have asked me to pause for a minute, and contemplate the simple things that make me happy. Although a lone toilet visit, eating my lunch interrupted or enjoying a peaceful moment make me incredibly happy since becoming a parent – my greatest joy in life comes from my children, and this isn’t something I will say often out loud. Purely because I feel like it goes without saying.
I have written my simple things down with my children in mind – those ordinary little things that occur, that really aren’t ordinary – they are remarkable, magical and precious. Simple and beautiful.
- An unexpected lie in. By lie in, we’re talking 7:15am.
- When all three boys eat their dinner without a fuss.
- A day out that lasts much longer than planned.
- Reading stories all snuggled under a blanket.
- When they make up ‘jokes’ that are total nonsense.
- Listening to them sing when they don’t know I’m listening.
- Watching their dance moves, especially a sneaky shoulder or eyebrow shimmy during breakfast.
- Wondering why they chose to wear a certain item of clothing.
- When they’ve learnt something new, and then I hear them explaining it to somebody else.
- Seeing them strike a conversation up with another child at the park, which doesn’t happen often, but I always listen intently.
- When they’re all squeezed into a warm bath, before it turns to utter chaos.
- Watching them laughing uncontrollably at one other.
- Listening to Win and Ru chat in their bunk beds (when it’s not an argument).
- When I hear Win and Ru talk and it sounds exactly like something I would say. This really tickles me.
- Watching them explore, grow in confidence and try new things.
- A family nap (an extreme rarity, but not extinct).
- Checking on them before we go to bed to see what position they’re in, and to cover them up.
- When we’re all in the garden pottering around.
- Going away together for a few days.
- When the three of them sit together at the bottom of the shower playing.
What are some of the simple things that your children do that make you happy?
Many thanks to Lighthouse for sending Otto and Ru these bright and sunny raincoats, free of charge. All thoughts and feelings are my own.