One evening this week, Win, Ru and I wrote a half term bucket list. Win has six days off altogether, and I’m really excited to have him home, because he loves making things and being outside. When he’s around I don’t have to persuade Ru to leave the house, because he is more than happy to follow Win’s lead. They came up with six things – go swimming, half term crafts (and baking for Ru), visit the Railway Museum, watch Trolls, go on a bike ride and have an indoor picnic.
I like to keep school holidays flexible, but I also like to have a loose plan, so that we’re never stuck for ideas and don’t risk wasting a day. Our plans change depending on the weather, and what side of bed the kids wake up on (!) I’ve been collecting some craft ideas and thought I would share them with you. I don’t think for one second that we will get round to doing all of these crafts, but miracles can happen!
- Bird feeders and a garland – Birds are in need of extra TLC at this time of year, and I love this garland of treats.
- Stick loom weaving – I’ve wanted to try stick weaving for a while. You could even make a whole morning of it – head out to collect wishbones sticks and then get weaving. I think Win will have the patience for it now he’s a little older.
- Nature paintbrushes – Wands, or paintbrushes? I think these are gorgeous.
- Chocolate bark – A selection of dark, milk and white chocolate, plus extras scattered on would make a lovely gift for someone. Simple and effective.
- Play dough – We love making play dough and it’s even better when it’s smells good too.
- Making a set of story stones – Great for the imagination, creating stories and quiet time. You can choose a theme, or freestyle it, and keep them in a little bag.
- Writing your name with nature – Collecting nature’s treasures for each letter of their name. So pretty.
- Scavenger hunt – I love the idea of a simple scavenger hunt. Write the words for Win, and draw pictures for Ru. I wonder what we will find?
- Butterfly buns – A classic bake when you are little. I remember going to a lady’s house with my cousin to learn how to make them properly.
What fun things will you be getting up to over half term?