Around the house I don’t often use harsh chemicals and cleaners. I’ve always had sensitive skin, and since cutting down the amount I use them – I find that I am even more sensitive to them. I’ve made my own washing powder for almost two years, and now I find the scent of regular washing powders really overwhelming and synthetic. I would love to branch out making other cleaning products for our home, but I haven’t had the chance to experiment.
Spring is around the corner and this is a very easy little tutorial to make some spray using essential oils. I’ve been using it to freshen the house, spray on bed linen and generally make me feel uplifted. My favourite oils to use around the house this time of year are citrus oils, as they are so refreshing. Grapefruit, lemon, bergamot, mandarin, lime and wild orange. I’ve always loved lavender too.
Here is what you need:
- 2 tablespoons of witch hazel or vodka
- 20 drops of essential oil
- Distilled water to top up to 100 ml
- Small funnel
- Glass spray bottle
- Pour the witch hazel (or vodka) into the glass spray bottle. Add the drops of essential oil, then replace the lid and shake vigorously for 15-20 seconds.
- Remove the lid again and fill the glass bottle up with distilled water. Replace the lid and shake vigorously again for 15-20 seconds.
- Use as and when you wish – spray on bed linen and curtains, or use as a room spray.
Feel free to join me in faking spring for a few more weeks!
A few tips
- Keep the spray in a cool dark place, as UV light causes the quality of the oils to deteriorate. Blue, or amber coloured bottles will help with this, but it is still best to keep them out of direct sunlight.
- I have used aromatherapy oils around our home and with my massage clients for a number of years, and without a doubt dōTERRA® is my favourite brand to use.
- Always, always keep essential oils out of reach of children – even older children.
- Before you start using any oils, make sure you familiarise yourself with the safety guidelines, especially if you are pregnant.
This is not a sponsored post.
I’ve wanted to do this for ages, switch up to natural products. I sprinkle lavender about, and am using it daily at the moment as I feel its really calming for me especially in pregnancy. but I really want to get researching into using more around the home. thanks for the info xxx
I’m gradually trying to swap things. I love the smell and the simplicity of it all. I’ve been spraying this on me as perfume! I love lemon! and you are so welcome! xx
I use white vinegar with essential oils to clean the house, like table tops and surfaces. Works a treat and smells lovely. It’s my mother-in-laws tip.
I also put a few drops on the cardboard side of the toilet roll to freshen the bathroom 🙂 X
I definitely want to start swapping more and more things. That is a brilliant top for the bathroom – thank you! xx