Birthdays in our house always start with a pancake breakfast – complete with lots of syrup, fruit, yoghurt and juice…all eaten whilst wearing party hats, of course. Win helped me get everything ready and we baked the cake together during Ru’s nap time. Winston thought Ru would like a chocolate, cherry cake, so that’s what we made for him.
It’s cliché at this point to say that time has flown by, but I really don’t feel like it has. Time has been kind to us and baby Rufus seems such a long time ago. It is getting more and more difficult to remember life without him – it almost feels like he has been with us always, and I love the thought of that.
We decided to take them both to the National Railway Museum in York, as it’s a place they never want to leave – no matter what time we arrive. My parents wanted to take us out for lunch, so they ended up meeting us there and we had a lovely day together.
Little things I don’t want to forget as you turn two:
- The way you chase Winston when his bum is bare shouting: “Mack bum, bum”. We don’t know where you got it from, but Win doesn’t like it.
- How we really don’t know what to do with your hair!
- The way you insist in climbing into your car seat by yourself – it takes you ages, but you won’t accept help. It’s a little frustrating for us.
- The way ask me to leave at bedtime, but always want your Daddy to stay: “Mummy, go out, Daddy cuddle”.
- The way you call cashew nuts ‘sock nuts’ for some reason.
- The way you seem to be able to pre-empt what will annoy your brother the most, and then do it.
- The way you make sure Baby Jesus and Stickman are covered with the blanket before you go to sleep.
- The way you say: “Need a cuddle” at the most random times during the day. You can be playing or drawing, and all of a sudden you just need one.
- The way you copy almost everything we say.
- The way you ask Daddy to play with you everyday when he comes in from work: “Daddy, come and play with me now!”, as you pull his hand.
- How you always want your football trainers on if Winston has his on, and the same when he wears his cape.
- The way you lie down next to me in the bath and kick your legs.
- How many times a day you say: “NO! Do it by self”…and sound so angry when you say it. Exactly like your mum I’m told.
- Your favourite songs are: ‘Shake It Off’ by Taylor Swift, ‘Not Nineteen Forever’ by The Courteeners and ‘Open Door’ from Frozen.
Happy birthday little one!
Yaayyy this is so beautiful! Happy Birthday Ru bear… Bad Aunt here completely forgot 😞 but already have your gift so I’m sure you won’t care when you crack it open! Gorgeous pics Est x
Thanks M! xx