I decided long ago that New Year’s resolutions are not my thing. I used to make really specific ones and fail miserably, but these days I generally feel that as long as I’m going forwards, not backwards – then all is well. I’m aware that this year will probably be one of our busiest and one full of change. We’re going to have to be a little more organised, a little more patient and a little more imaginative at finding time for each other.
Balance in our day to day lives is something I think about a lot. Of course we have weeks (and weeks) that can be totally out of balance, but I feel that reining everything back in regularly is so important. Stripping back, simplifying and evaluating. And with that, I wanted to note down a few personal thoughts for this year, which conveniently fit into either ‘more or less’. Nothing huge or fancy, but things (I hope) that will make a difference to me.
- Read – I was so incredibly lucky and received a Kindle for Christmas from Jared’s parents. I’ve made a wish list that I am hoping to plough through during night feeds and other spare moments. I used to be a huge reader and it saddens me that I seem to have waved goodbye to it in recent years. I feel like there is hope for this one!
- Dance – don’t get the wrong idea and think that I can dance. I’m not talking about routines or classes, I’m talking about dancing that you want no one to see, and makes you feel completely free. I used to do it regularly before having kids around the house along to my iPod or a CD. Excellent for stress relief and highly embarrassing if anyone other than a family member, or close friend catches you.
- Create – making things makes me happy. This is something I would really like to explore this year – with and without the boys by my side. Whether it be new recipes, sewing, styling or crafting. Anything really.
- Seek – new places and experiences. The simpler the better.
- Late nights – Jared and I are not good at going to bed early. Since becoming pregnant I have been better, but I am still terrible.
- Waste – whether this be food, packaging or money. I hate waste and could do so much better.
- Thoughtless eating – when I’m in ‘Esther world’ and in my day to day routine my eating is brilliant. I think about nutrition, health and am good at thinking about what goes in my body, but this all goes amiss when I’m not organised or I’m out being social. In 2015, I really felt like I tried new foods and recipes, and I would even go as far as to say I have completely changed the way I think about cooking. I’ve learned a lot about food and experimented, but I would like to be more mindful in the way that I eat, especially when I’m out and about.
- Buy – our house is almost exactly how we would like it and we all have absolutely everything we need, plus so, so much more. At this moment in time it seems completely ridiculous to buy anything else in the whole world, other than food. I’m far better at buying quality over quantity in recent years, but I could definitely improve on this one.
Have you made some resolutions? What thoughts are you having about 2016?
I found the first picture on Jared’s phone from a few months ago and had no idea he’d taken it. I quite like it.