I used to massively over pack when going on holiday. I would start sensible and then end up cramming in lots of random items ‘just in case’ – sound familiar? I didn’t plan outfits or think about activities, so I would end up using about 40% of what was in my suitcase – aside from when I went to Thailand at 20 and literally took underwear, swimwear, three tops and a pair of shorts! Since having kids I’ve streamlined packing and definitely prefer to take less than more. At home I (mostly) enjoy putting ‘looks’ together but on holiday it’s something don’t want to think about.
China is going to be between 15 – 23 degrees – perfect for children. Ru is going to be on one of our backs most of the time and we’re going to be doing a lot of walking, so clothes need to be practical and comfortable. We’ve been told (reliably by Jared’s brother) that a raincoat is an essential item for all of us. I leave my hair completely ‘au naturale’ when abroad and I don’t wear much make up – it’s something I really look forward to…but regret when I look at photographs!
Other than sunglasses, dry shampoo, swimwear and water, here is what I like to have with me on holiday:
1. Bright jewellery. I keep my jewellery very basic when I’m at home, but on holiday I like to wear all my bright items.
2. A scarf, particularly since I’ve had kids. It can also be a blanket, a sun shade, a cushion and a changing room on the beach. I always take one!
3. Linen shirts. I find linen shirts the most cool and comfortable when on holiday. It also means I don’t have to worry too much about sun lotion.
4. Denim shorts. We’re hoping to have one beach day just before we leave and I’ve had a battered Levi’s pair since I went to America at 17. I absolutely love them.
5. Sandals and trainers. Sandals for slow paced days and trainers for fast paced days.
6. Comfy joggers. I’m not someone who wears joggers as they make me feel really lazy – I don’t know why. However, in shops at the moment there are lots of ‘tailored’ joggers. I’ve bought some from H&M very similar to these to wear on the aeroplane.
7. A basket. There’s something about walking around on holiday with a basket.
8. Lightweight dresses for really hot days.
9. Basic jersey items so I can mix and match.
10. Lightweight trousers and a jumpsuit. I love all the patterned ones that are around at the moment and jumpsuits are unbelievably comfortable.
All I have left to buy is the perfect sun hat!
What are your holiday essentials?
I definitely pack lighter these days and take more things that are easily transferable between outfits! I love your bright Jewellery..my “TO DO” is to buy more bright jewellery haha!
I remember the Levi shorts 🙂 I love that you still wear them x
You need to hit Accessorize at the Outlet. The bright stuff is so cheap! Love my Levi’s! x
You went to China? I’m so jealous. I’ve always wanted to go. I lived in Hong Kong for a while as a child and was always disappointed that I never got to go whilst living so close. I really over pack for holidays and only end up wearing a few things. I have my favourites! Xx
When my brother in law moved out there I was secretly so excited…purely for selfish reasons! It’s a bit crazy that we went, but we loved it! x