Whenever my Mum drops by my house on her way to here, there and everywhere, she always brings a tasty lunch for us to enjoy together. It’s usually homemade soup with crusty bread, but recently she has been bringing ingredients along to make this delish mushroom burger; as she knows I love it! It’s surprising how truly ‘meaty’ a mushroom can taste once it’s shoved between two pieces of bread along with a few other bits…and with barbecue season fast approaching – what’s not to love?
I call it the Mushroom Pesto Burger and here is what you need:
4 extra large flat mushroom
1 tbsp Maille balsamic vinegar glaze
100g French goats cheese – the crumbly type
4 large burger buns – toasted if you prefer? Mum and I have it on brown seeded bread which is also lovely.
4 tbsps of green pesto
25g of fresh rocket
50g Maille gherkins extra small
1 avocado – peeled, stoned and thinly sliced
Salt & pepper to season
This method is for the oven, but you could easily cook these on a barbecue – just keep an eye on them.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Place the mushrooms on a baking tray (stalks up), season with salt and pepper and drizzle with the balsamic glaze. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
3. A few minutes before the mushrooms look ready – open the oven and add a slab of goats cheese to the top of each mushroom. Return the mushrooms and cheese to the oven for a few more minutes, then remove and set aside.
4. Now to assemble your burgers. Grab your burger buns or bread and spread pesto on the bottom and top halves (be generous).
5. Now add a mushroom, the rocket, the gherkins, avocado, then top with the other half of the burger.
Serve with paprika sweet potato fries and a homemade spicy tomato sauce.
With any good burger; it’s the little ingredients that make all the difference. The ingredient that champions these burgers for me is the gherkins. Whether a burger should include a gherkin or not, is a hot topic in the food world. For me it is a definite yes! and these Maille ones are gorgeous straight out of the jar.
I was sent the Maille Balsamic Vinegar Glaze & Maille Gherkins Extra Small free of charge for the purpose of this competition. Written in association with Maille. This is my entry into the Maille Culinary Challenge. All words and opinions are my own.