My husband Jared has a gluten intolerance, and although it is not serious, it does need to be kept under control, as an accumulation starts to cause him problems. Pancake day is approaching and we are a family that loves our pancakes! Over the years I’ve seen complicated recipes with expensive ingredients for gluten free pancakes, but the ones I love are those that keep it simple with recognisable ingredients like eggs, milk and flour (gluten free for us).
Gluten is something I try to avoid too – it leaves my belly feeling bloated, and makes it difficult for me to lose weight. I limit how much the boys eat too, by using gluten free bread, pasta and flour in our home – if they turn out to have a sensitivity like Jared, I want it to already be a way of life for them. Gluten free flours like buckwheat, quinoa and chick pea flours have a lovely depth and flavour once you’re used to them.
Here are our favourite gluten free pancake recipes, to ensure that we don’t miss out when pancake day comes around:
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp buckwheat flour
- Whisk the egg and buckwheat flour together until a paste is formed and the mixture is lump free.
- Add water a little at a time until the consistency is thin, but not watery.
- Heat your frying pan and add a tsp of coconut oil.
- Pour in enough batter to make a thin layer to cover the bottom of the pan, and cook for a minute or two, before flipping.
Tip: You can use (any) milk instead of water.
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Mash the banana well with a fork.
- Whisk in the eggs and the ground almonds until completely combined. It will still be a little lumpy and quite thick.
- Heat the pan, add a tsp of coconut oil and pour 3-4 small pools of batter into the frying pan.
- A little care is needed when flipping these, as they can be quite delicate.
Tip: A slight variation is adding 4 tbsp of buckwheat flour, and 4 tbsp of coconut milk. This will make the texture more like an american pancake.
Here is what we love having on ours:
- Greek yoghurt
- Dark chocolate
- Lemon juice
- Maple syrup
HAPPY PANCAKE DAY!